Sunday, December 26, 2010

Starting A New Tradition


Once upon a time, I sent out Christmas newsletters via snail-mail and got rave reviews of the same.

I continued to do this up until recent years when I was starting to slow down considerably.  I would eventually end up in the hospital to learn that I had some health problems that were causing this.

While I'm still not up to the way that I once was, I'm starting to get back at least some of my old energy and am now trying to make up for lost time.

The only problem is that--while I'm trying to catch up with myself--new things keep happening.

Shortly before I went into the hospital, I wrote something along the lines of how what I really needed was for time to stand still so that I could have all the time I needed to catch up with myself.  Then, once I had gotten current, life would go on right where it stopped for me, and I wouldn't have missed a thing.

Since I have a healthier body now--having gotten rid of a three-bug MRSA infection that, likely, would have killed me had I put off getting help much longer and having a name for my condition (lymphedema) and how to treat it--both my mobility and energy-level have greatly improved.  

One thing for sure:  I know that I can lift my legs enough to get into bed and stretch out for some real rest now.  That was taken from me for quite awhile, and I kept thinking that I would be just fine if I could just lift my legs enough to get them onto the bed and stretch out along with losing some weight.

My mom finally asked me if I wanted her to call the hospital or the funeral home!

I believe that the human body has a natural way of healing itself and should do so as much as possible.  However, there are times when a little extra help was needed, and this was, obviously, one of these times.

Anyway, back to my original train-of-thought.

First off, don't get the idea that I was in this really awful shape all of these years and nobody noticed.  It was just sort of a gradual thing--but it ended up escalating in a period of a few months leading up to when I finally went to the hospital.  I had no insurance, so I was thankful when I found out that a foundation would be taking care of the financial part of most of my care.

Anyway, that's all she wrote on this story for now, as it will be part of Chapter Nine of the book I'm writing.  On with the story of my new tradition...

I'm happy to report that I'm back to sending out Christmas newsletters again--but, this time, in a different way.

For people online, I simply send them the newsletter itself and/or a link to a blog-entry where I've written it.  For my snail-mail loved ones (several who are also online with me), I now send a card but will also include a link to a place online where I can be found.

This year, I have the perfect place set up here at AJville.  Everybody has received a url to it.  Of course, AJville connects to other places--and one of those places is where I'm starting a brand new tradition.

What IS it?

It's how I've decided that I'm going to compose a total of 12 Christmas newsletters--one for each of the twelve days of Christmas.  I'll display each one at one blog and will provide links to them at another.

The blog-entry I'm using for display is pretty neat.  Part of it even looks like a Christmas tree with toys under it.  Here it is!!!

Anyway, this pretty well sums up my new tradition--along with some related ones that I'm going to share now.

I've always thought that it would be great to have my home decorated in some way all year 'round--and have done that here and there, of course.  However, I'm going to actually make out a schedule and see how well I'm able to follow it.

This is it:

I'm doing a newsletter for each of the twelve days of Christmas--and leaving up my Christmas decorations through January.  In February, I'm decorating with a Valentine's Day theme.  In March and April, it will be a spring and Easter theme.  The spring part will remain after Easter until Memorial Day Weekend.  From Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day, I'll be decorating in an extra-patriotic way.  From the rest of September through Thanksgiving Day, I'll be displaying various autumn decorations.  The day after Thanksgiving, I'll be starting to decorate for Christmas--and the year starts all over again...

At least, this is how I see things happening at this time.

Anyway, I'm going to sign off and post this now. . .